HISTORY OF THE YOUNG MARINES PROGRAM
After World War II, members of the Marine Corps League discussed the possibility of establishing a Marine Corps League Youth program as a civic project for detachments and to create interest in the League.
For historical purposes, the birth of the Young Marines was in Waterbury, Connecticut in 1958. The official charter was issued on 17 October 1965 and thereafter the program spread throughout the country. Although chartered as a League Sponsored Organization, the Young Marines began to function as a subsidiary organization independently in 1974.
In 1975 membership was extended to include females to participate so that all youth could benefit. By 1978 the Young Marine bylaws was approved and adopted.
In 1980 the Young Marine program was granted the status as a Youth Educational Organization with an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) classification of 501(C)3.
In July 1993 the United States Marine Corps designated the Young Marine Program as "The focal organization for fulfilling its participation in the Department of Defense's Drug Demand Reduction Activities." Marine Corps Order 5000.20 officially recognized the Young Marines and published policy to support the program.
Today, the organization has grown to 238 units with over 19,000 youth and 2,900 adult volunteers in 28 States, the District of Columbia, Japan and Germany.
For more information, please visit Young Marines National website:www.YoungMarines.com